Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Josh Aran

So, I found this new artist thru my endevour to find as many new artists as possible. His name is Josh Aran. He is from the Twin Cities and does most of his shows around there. I was lucky enough to catch him here at UW-Oshkosh, but I was unluckily late to the concert so I only caught the last 5 songs of his show. At this concert it was just him and his guitar, but he has a band that plays other shows with him. Five songs was enough to convince me to buy his album.

I would classify Aran as alternative folk music. It is calming and not in your face, but still plastered with meaning and emotion. His songs are catchy and easy listening. He has an obvious sense of music and easily finds good riffs and even better harmonies to fill them. In his stage performance he used a loop station like a pro. This is a device that allows a musician to record something and immediately playback that recording and loop it on stage. The musician then has the options to record more on top of that and loop it more or to just solo with it. Josh Aran did a fantastic job of making a full sound come from his guitar by using the loop station. Overall, I would recomment Josh Aran for anyone who likes Weezer's softer music or just a nice easy guitar chill.

Listen: Josh Aran - High Like Atmosphere
Website: josharan.com

No comments: